Fountain and Still

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 2 Golden Lane, EC1Y (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Note: The location on these maps is approximate.
Former address: [street since renumbered]
Dates open: [1756]-[1851]
Notes: Prior to renumbering (during the 1860s), Golden Lane started its numbering from Bell Alley on the west side (this street no longer exists, but was between modern Fann and Brackley Streets), then down to Barbican (now Beech St), back up the east side, and then down the west again to meet Bell Alley. There is a publican listed at 3-4 Golden Lane in the 1851 census (with 1-2 Golden Lane being a lodging house), but this is presumably the same premises.
Sources: Open date: Archives
Census 1851 [F Concannon]/1861 (not listed as a pub)
PO 1839 (as "Fountain & Still")/1851 (as "Fountain & Ship")
References: MS 11936/386/599525
MS 11936/559/1298710
Old Bailey t17560225-18 (as "Fountain")
Old Bailey t18310512-146
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.