Queen's Arms Tavern

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 70 Newgate Street, EC1A (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Note: The location on these maps is approximate.
Former address: [also listed as 28 St Martins le Grand (or 28 St Martins-le-Grand)]
[also listed as St Johns Court (1856)]
Dates open: [1610]-[1861]
Notes: In 1856 and 1848 the same proprietor is listed at a pub of the same name at 28 St Martins le Grand (and at St Johns Court in between the two, which no longer exists), so the property must have linked up. The two addresses are listed with different proprietors in the 1839 and 1841 directories, but an 1828 Sun Fire Office insurance record lists the Newgate Street "Queen's Arms" with the name of the proprietor given in the directories at St Martins le Grand, so it's unclear to what extent they were separate pubs.
Sources: Open date: Archives
Close date: Pubs History
PO 1839 (as "Queen's Arms")/1841 (as "Queen's Arms Tavern")/1856 (as "Queen's Arms Tavern")
References: C 5/470/10 (as "Queen's Arms [Inn?]")
C 7/50/26 (as "Queen's Arms [Inn]")
C 7/89/17 (as "Queen's Arms [Inn]")
D/ED/T235 (as "Queen's Arms")
HB/D/026 (as "Queens Arms Tavern")
MS 11936/376/582350 (as "Queens Arms")
MS 11936/377/582932 (as "Queens Arms Tavern")
MS 11936/511/1072625 (as "Queens Arms Tavern")
MS 11936/513/1078168 (as "Queens Arms Tavern")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.