Magpie and Stump

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: Silver Street, EC1M (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Note: The location on these maps is approximate.
Former name(s): King's Arms and Magpie
Dates open: [1790]-[1812]
Notes: This street was on the west side of Clerkenwell Green behind the Sessions House, approximately the route of the modern Farringdon Lane. Demolished for the Metropolitan Railway and Farringdon Road in the 1850s/1860s. The Survey of London mentions a "Magpye" on Silver Street in c1800. It is also spelled as the "Magpye and Stump", and is presumably the same as the "King's Arms and Magpye" mentioned in Sun Fire Office insurance records in 1790. These records also mention it is at the corner with Mutton Lane (which no longer exists, but approximately followed the line of Vine Street Bridge).
Sources: Dates: Archives
References: MS 11936/366/566942 (as "Kings Arms and Magpye")
MS 11936/373/576131 (as "Kings Arms and Magpye")
MS 11936/374/380776 (as "Magpye and Stump")
MS 11936/386/599534 (as "Magpye and Stump")
MS 11936/424/727064 (as "Magpie and Stump")
MS 11936/426/745441 (as "Magpye and Stump")
MS 11936/434/781232 (as "Magpie and Stump")
MS 11936/455/871286
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.