Peggy Bedford

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 400 Bath Road, UB7 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Hillingdon
Former name(s): King's Head
Historical parish: Harmondsworth
Dates open: [1748]-1995
rebuilt 1928
Owner: Courage (former)
Notes: The original site was 270m to the west along Bath Road, prior to rebuilding in 1928 (at the same time as the Colnbrook Bypass was constructed). Peggy Bedford was a former proprietor of the "King's Head" (her family were there in 1775 and she died in 1859), and the rebuilt pub may have taken her name upon rebuilding, though it was certainly in use (at least as an alternative) earlier than that.
Sources: Open date: victoria county History
Owner: CAMRA
Census 1851 [P Bedford] (as "inn")/1861 [T Blondell] (as "inn")/1871 [G De Saulles] (as "Kings Head")/1881 [T Bacon] (as "Peggy Bedford")
OS 1889 (as "King's Head")/1899 (as "King's Head")/1914 (as "King's Head")/1932 (as "Peggy Bedford")/1962 (as "Peggy Bedford")/1971 (as "Peggy Bedford")
PO 1826/1839/1851/1866/1874 (all as "King's Head")/1878 (as "Peggy Bedford")/1890/1898/1933/1937 (all as "Peggy Bedford Hotel")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.