Simpson's

Status: Open
Address: Ball Court, 38 Cornhill, EC3V 9DR (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Former name(s): Simpson's Tavern and Hotel
Former address: [also listed as Marlow House, Lloyds Avenue, Gracechurch Street]
Dates open: 1757-
Website: Website
Notes: This has often been listed more as a restaurant in directories, and is now primarily that, but also includes a bar and has been consistently marked as a public house on maps. On the 1875 and 1896 Ordnance Survey maps, the building on the north-east corner of Ball Court is separately marked as a public house, but presumably was part of "Simpson's" (or possibly the "Cock Tavern" on the other side to the east).
Photo taken in May 2008
Sources: Open date: Pubs History
OS 1875/1896/1916/1953/1963/1971
PO 1841 (as "Simpson's Coffeehouse")/1856 (as "Simpson's Tavern & Hotel")/1869 (as "Simpson's Tavern & Hotel")/1882 (as "Simpson's Tavern & Hotel")/1895 (as "Simpson's Restaurant")/1915 (as "Simpson's Restaurant")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.