Duke of Gloucester

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 497 Oxford Street, W1C (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Former name(s): Duke's Head
Former address: 248 Oxford Street (pre-1882)
[also listed as 248-249 Oxford Street (1869)]
Dates open: [1789]-[1806], [1869]-[1959]
Notes: In the 1856 and 1841 directories and in Sun fire insurance records back to 1826, this is listed as the "Gloucester coffee house", so was probably not a pub during this period. However, it is listed as a pub before this, up until at least 1806.
Sources: Open date: Archives
OS 1959
PO 1841 (as "Glo'ster Coffeehouse")/1856 (as "Glo'ster coffee house")/1869 (as "wine merchant")/1882/1895/1915 (all as "Duke of Gloucester")
References: MS 11936/363/563737 (as "Dukes Head")
MS 11936/413/682954 (as "Dukes Head")
MS 11936/434/785068
MS 11936/510/1049415 (as "Gloucester Coffee House")
MS 11936/513/1076647 (as "Gloucester Coffee House")
MS 11936/513/1076648 (as "Gloucester Coffee House")
MS 11936/544/1178548 (as "Gloucester Coffee House")
MS 11936/544/1178549 (as "Gloucester Coffee House")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.