Sessions House Hotel

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 28 Clerkenwell Green, EC1R (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Former name(s): Queen's Head [same site]
Dates open: [1807]-[1809], [1869]-c1875
Notes: Rebuilt to the east at 120 Clerkenwell Road (see separate entry). The "Survey of London" mentions the original site of this hotel was at the corner of Turnmill Street and Clerkenwell Green (marked as a public house on the 1875 Ordnance Survey map), though the 1869 directory gives the address as 49 Clerkenwell Green, which is at the north-east of the Green (on the eastern side of the intersection with St James's Walk). The directory may have meant 49 Turnmill Street, which would have been approximately this location, prior to the construction of Clerkenwell Road, which was the reason for the building's demolition.
Sources: Close date: Survey of London
Census 1871 [W Rause]
OS 1875
PO 1869 (as "Sessions House Hotel")
References: MS 11936/438/802022 (as "Queens Head")
MS 11936/446/825968 (as "Queens Head")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.