Half Moon

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 43a Lower Shadwell, E1W (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Former name(s): White Swan [or Swan]
Former address: [also listed as 43 Lower Shadwell (1851 PO directory) and as Bell Wharf, Lower Shadwell (1794)]
Dates open: [1793]-[1873]
Owner: Combe and Co. (former)
Notes: The "Half Moon" name later transfers to the pub at 14-15 Lower Shadwell (see separate entry, around 120m to the south-west, and on the north side of the street), and is earlier at 62 Lower Shadwell (see separate entry, to the west on the south side). Prior to 1856, it is variously referred to as the "Swan" or "White Swan". This street no longer exists.
Sources: Open date/Owner: Archives
Census 1851 [H Ireland]/1861 (missing)/1871 [A Freney]/1881 (not listed as a pub)
OS 1873
PO 1839 (as "White Swan")/1851 (as "Swan")/1856 (as "Half Moon")/1869 (as "Half Moon")
References: 789/193
Old Bailey t18311201-278
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.