Newman Street Tavern

Status: Closed
Address: 48 Newman Street, W1T 1QQ (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: City of Westminster
Former name(s): Ping Pong [restaurant]
Cambridge Arms
Cambridge Stores
Oxford and Cambridge [same site]
Garrick's Head
Historical parish: Marylebone
Dates open: 1780-2006, 2012-c2016
rebuilt 1899
Owner: Ping Pong (former)
Punch Taverns [Spirit Group] (former)
Notes: Renamed as the "Oxford and Cambridge" in 1789, as the "Cambridge Stores" in 1811, and as the "Newman Street Tavern" in 2012. It was primarily a restaurant as "Newman Street Tavern", and has since become just a restaurant. The directories list it as the "Cambridge coffee house" in 1841 and 1856, so it may not have fully been a pub for a period.
Photo taken in November 2012
Sources: Open date: CAMRA
Close date: Beer in the Evening/EM
Renaming: EM
London Drinker U228/WP18
PO 1841 (as "Cambridge coffeehouse")/1856 (as "Cambridge coffee house")/1869/1882/1895/1915 (all as "Cambridge Stores")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email quoting the pub name.