Sessions House Hotel

Status: Closed
Address: 120 Clerkenwell Road, EC1M 5SA (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Former name(s): Jerusalem Tavern [same site]
Red Lion Tavern
Former address: 1 Red Lion Street [now Britton Street] (pre-rebuilding)
[also listed as Clerkenwell Green (pre-rebuilding)]
Dates open: [1720]-1877, 1880-c1923
demolished 1877 rebuilt 1880
Owner: Wenlock Brewery (former)
Notes: Renamed as "Jerusalem Tavern" in c1753, and as "Sessions House Hotel" upon rebuilding in 1880. It includes the property at 20 Clerkenwell Green. This name is taken from the earlier pub to the west at the corner of Turnmill St (28 Clerkenwell Gn, see separate entry), which was demolished for the construction of Clerkenwell Road. Later a factory, now offices.
Photo taken in January 2011
Sources: Dates/Rebuilding/Renaming: Survey of London
Owner: Brewery History Society
Census 1851 [G Mendham]/1861 [G Mendham]/1871 [T Wilson] (as "tavern")
PO 1882 (as "Sessions House")/1895 (as "Sessions House Hotel")/1915 (as "Sessions House Hotel")
References: MS 11936/377/585113
MS 11936/563/1293889
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.