King John's Head

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 142 Southwark Street, SE1 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Southwark
Former name(s): St John's Head
Former address: 138 Southwark Street (1899)
128 Southwark Street (1882)
1 Holland Street [now Hopton Street] (1875) [different site]
22 Holland Street [or 22 John Street] (1856)
Historical parish: Southwark Christchurch
Dates open: [1821]-[1921]
rebuilt c1870s
Notes: Originally sited 105m to the north-west, at the intersection of Holland Street (now Hopton Street) and John Street (which no longer exists, but ran north-south between Holland St and Southwark St on the east side of the railway lines), but demolished for the construction of the railway lines into the new St Paul's station on the north side of the river (later renamed London Blackfriars), opened in 1886. This earlier site is shown on the 1875 Ordnance Survey map, so the pub was presumably rebuilt in its new location by 1882, when it is listed in directories at 128 Southwark St.
Sources: Open date: Archives
OS 1875/1896/1919
PO 1839 (as "St. John's Head")/1841 (as "St. John's Head")/1856 (as "John's Head")/1869/1882/1895/1899/1915 (all as "King John's Head" except where noted)
References: MS 11936/487/985265 (as "St Johns Head")
MS 11936/501/1033897 (as "St Johns Head")
MS 11936/502/1037375 (as "St Johns Head")
MS 11936/505/1047760 (as "St Johns Head")
MS 11936/511/1061855 (as "St Johns Head")
MS 11936/512/1080196 (as "St John's Head")
MS 11936/517/1094773 (as "St John's Head")
MS 11936/520/1092907 (as "St John's Head")
MS 11936/532/1136013 (as "St Johns Head")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.