Duke of Wellington

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 29 Three Colts Lane, E2 6JB (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Tower Hamlets
Former name(s): Lord Wellington [different site]
Former address: [or 29 Three Colt Lane]
4 Three Colts Lane [or 4 Three Colt Lane] (1861)
Historical parish: Bethnal Green
Dates open: by 1813-at least 1915
demolished 2010
Notes: Originally sited 35m to the east, on the other side of where the railway bridge crosses Three Colts Lane, prior to rebuilding in the late-19th century. It is marked at this location on the 1876 Ordnance Survey map, and it is likely that the pub was renamed as the "Duke of Wellington" upon rebuilding, as it's listed under the new name by the 1882 Post Office directory.
Sources: OS 1876/1896
PO 1839 (as "Lord Wellington")/1856 (as "Lord Wellington")/1869 (as "Lord Wellington")/1882/1895/1915 (all as "Duke of Wellington" except where noted)
References: MS 11936/461/883231
MS 11936/466/921837
MS 11936/473/931288 (all as "Lord Wellington")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.