King's Arms and Hand

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 204 Bermondsey Street, SE1 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Southwark
Former name(s): Hand Inn
Former address: 124 Bermondsey Street (1901)
159 Bermondsey Street (1851)
Historical parish: Bermondsey
Dates open: [1587]-[1934]
Notes: The 1819 revision to Horwood's map of London shows this pub taking up the entirety of the yard running in from Bermondsey Street at this address (presumably it was a coaching inn), though by the 1876 Ordnance Survey map it is just taking up a single building. There are archival records going back to the Elizabethan times referring to a "sign of the Hand" (or "Hand Inn") on Bermondsey Street, which was presumably this pub, but may possibly have been the nearby "Hand and Marigold" (see separate entry under "Marigold Bar").
Sources: Open date: Archives
Close date: Pubs History
OS 1876/1895/1912
PO 1841/1856/1869 (as "King's Arms")/1882/1895/1899/1915 (all as "King's Arms & Hand" except where noted)
References: E 41/103 (as "sign of the Hand")
MS 11936/447/819858 (as "Hand and Kings Arms")
MS 11936/451/844030 (as "Kings Arms")
MS 11936/468/919462 (as "Kings Arms")
QS2/6/1729/Eas/100 (as "Hand Inn")
PROB 11/1718/539 (as "Hand Inn")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.