Baptist Head

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 32 Bermondsey Street, SE1 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Southwark
Former name(s): Ship [possibly]
Former address: [street since renumbered]
50 Bermondsey Street (1851)
Historical parish: Southwark St John Horselydown
Dates open: [1825]-[1856]
Notes: This would have been demolished for the construction of the railway lines into London Bridge. There's a "Ship" pub mentioned as being on the corner of Bermondsey St and Crucifix Lane in a 1793 Sun Fire Office insurance record, so that may have been an earlier name for this pub (or else it was on the opposite corner). The same proprietor is listed in another record of 1791 at the "St Johns Coffee House" on Bermondsey St, so that may have been yet another earlier name.
Sources: Dates: Pubs History
PO 1839 (as "Baptist's Head")/1841/1856 (all as "Baptist Head" except where noted)
References: DHL/22/3 (as "St. John's Coffee House")
MS 11936/379/588372 (as "St Johns Coffee House")
MS 11936/398/619237 (as "Ship")
MS 11936/518/1088988 (as "Baptists Head")
MS 11936/518/1088989 (as "Baptists Head")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.