Old Giants

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 26 Church Street, SE1 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Southwark
Former name(s): Two Old Giants
Former address: [now Roper Lane]
[also listed as 14-15 Church Street (1825)]
Charles Street [later Artillery Street] (1815)
Historical parish: Southwark St John Horselydown
Dates open: [1795]-[1895]
Owner: Combe and Co. (former)
Notes: Also sometimes named as the "Two Giants". This is listed in some Sun Fire Office insurance records of 1815 and earlier as Charles St (later Artillery St, now no longer existing) or "corner of Church Street", but should not be confused with the "Dundee Arms" (see separate entry), which was in this location. From the later address of 26 Church St, it appears to have been around 20m to the south, on the north corner of the intersection with Sards Rents (which also now no longer exists). It is of course possible it was originally on the site of the "Dundee Arms", but moved before that pub opened.
Sources: Open date/Owner: Archives
Census 1871 [W Dawkins] (as "Old Giants")/1881 [W Southwell]/1891 [W Pryor] (as "Old Giants")
PO 1856/1869/1882/1895
References: 789/196 (as "Two Giants")
MS 11936/400/639846 (as "Two Old Giants")
MS 11936/452/844158 (as "Giants")
MS 11936/467/904368 (as "Two Giants")
MS 11936/469/908044 (as "Two Giants")
MS 11936/500/1037616 (as "Two Old Giants")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.