Rose and Crown

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 21 Crucifix Lane, SE1 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Note: The location on these maps is approximate.
London borough: Southwark
Former name(s): Dog and Bear
Former address: [street since renumbered]
Historical parish: Southwark St John Horselydown
Dates open: [1825]-[1856]
Notes: Location on the map is a guess, but Barnham St was formerly named Dog and Bear Yard, so this pub may have been closer to the intersection with that street. It was probably on the north side of Crucifix Lane, as it was in the parish of Southwark St Olave (while Bermondsey was on the south side of Crucifix Lane). This would have been demolished for the construction of the railway lines into London Bridge.
Sources: Open date: Pubs History
PO 1839/1856 (all as "Rose & Crown")
References: MS 11936/551/1250299 (as "Rose and Crown late The Dog and Bear")
MS 11936/563/1289438 (as "Rose and Crown")
MS 11936/558/1300952 (as "Rose and Crown")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.