Coronet

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 280 Westminster Bridge Road, SE1 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Lambeth
Former name(s): Crown
Former address: 7 Bridge Street (1856)
[also listed as 7 1/2 Bridge Street (1856), as 9 Bridge Street (1848), as 8 Bridge Street (1841), and as Stangate (1839)]
Historical parish: Lambeth
Dates open: [1788]-c1910
demolished c1910
Notes: Bridge Street is the stretch of later Westminster Bridge Road between the bridge and the modern line of Belvedere Road, formerly Narrow Wall, and, confusingly, there was a number 7 on either side of the street (1-7 on the north, 7-13 on the south). It is possible that the "Crown" mentioned until the 1856 directory was on the south side (and it is sometimes given as 7 1/2 Bridge Street or even 8 Bridge St, which suggests this). These buildings were pulled down in 1860, according to the Survey of London, so the later "Coronet" at 280 Westminster Bridge Rd (which was formerly numbered 7 Bridge St) may have been a different site, but given the similarity in names, must have at least been a successor to the earlier "Crown".
Sources: Open date: Archives
Close date/Demolished: Survey of London
OS 1875/1895/1907
PO 1839 (as "Crown")/1856 (as "Crown")/PO 1882/1895/1899
References: MS 11936/351/540203
MS 11936/373/584229
MS 11936/451/848636
MS 11936/459/871635
MS 11936/477/944380 (all as "Crown")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.