Bell

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 314 Borough High Street, SE1 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Note: The location on these maps is approximate.
London borough: Southwark
Former address: [or 314 High Street]
[street since renumbered]
Historical parish: Southwark St Saviour
Dates open: [1788]-[1801]
Notes: Location on the map is approximate, as the road layout changed completely with the construction of the new London Bridge (to the west of the original site) and the railway station. This was demolished for the construction of the new London Bridge, built 1824-1831, and the realignment of Borough High St as a result. Sun Fire Office insurance records note it is at "314 Southwark" or Borough High St, and 314 Borough High St is numbered on Horwood's 1799 map of London as being on the west side of the street, at the corner of Pepper Alley (the site being approximately where Duke Street was built connecting Borough High St to Tooley St).
Sources: Dates: Archives
References: MS 11936/352/542817
MS 11936/361/558525
MS 11936/423/725532
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.