Three Cups

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 156 Bow Road, E3 (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Tower Hamlets
Former name(s): Eastern Empire
Three Cups
Former address: 5 High Street [or 5 Bow High Street] (1871)
Historical parish: Bow
Dates open: by 1790-c1923
rebuilt 1892
Notes: From 1855 this pub incorporated a music hall at its rear called the "Bow Music Hall", which was renamed as "Marlow's Music Hall" in 1889. Still incorporating the pub, the site was rebuilt as the "Eastern Empire Theatre" (or "Eastern Empire Music Hall") in 1892, again renamed as the "Palace Theatre" in 1903, as the "Tivoli Theatre" in 1917, and probably as the "Bow Palace Music Hall" in 1918 (that's how it's labelled on the 1923 Ordnance Survey map). It was rebuilt as a cinema (without the pub) in 1923.
Sources: Renaming: Cinema Treasures
OS 1869
PO 1841/1856/1869/1882/1895/1899 (as "Eastern Empire")/1915/1921 (all as "Three Cups" except where noted)
References: MS 11936/370/573154
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email quoting the pub name.