Doggett's Coat and Badge

Status: Open
Address: 1 Blackfriars Bridge, SE1 9UD (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Southwark
Former name(s): Cross Keys [different site]
Cross Keys and Railway Hotel
Cross Keys
Former address: 1 Blackfriars Road (pre-rebuilding) [different site]
[also listed as Albion Place, Blackfriars Road (1839), and as St Georges Road (1791)]
Historical parish: Southwark Christchurch
Dates open: [1791]-
rebuilt 1976
Good Beer Guide: 2013, 2016
Owner: Mitchells and Butlers [Nicholson's]
Barclay Perkins (former)
Website: Website
Notes: Renamed as "Doggett's Coat and Badge" upon rebuilding in 1976. Also known as "Doggett's". Originally sited 25m to the south, on the south side of the intersection with Upper Ground, prior to rebuilding in 1976 (though the original site appears from Ordnance Survey maps to have been demolished before then, possibly during World War II).
Photo taken in May 2008
Sources: Open date: Archives
OS 1875/1896/1919/1951 (as "Cross Keys")/1982
PO 1839/1841/1856 (as "Cross Keys Hotel")/1869 (as "Cross Keys & Railway Hotel")/1882 (as "Cross Keys & Railway Hotel")/1895/1915 (all as "Cross Keys" except where noted)
References: ACC/2305/01/884/1-28
MS 11936/375/581277 (as "Cross Keys")
MS 11936/381/591176 (as "Cross Keys and Museum Coffee House")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.