Ruse

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: 280 Borough High Street, SE1 1JS (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Southwark
Former name(s): Bunters
Red Lion
Angel Inn [same site]
Former address: [or 280 High Street]
68 Blackman Street (pre-1889)
84 Blackman Street (1824)
Historical parish: Southwark St George the Martyr
Dates open: [1713]-2015
demolished 2016
Website: Website
Notes: Rocque's map of 1746 shows an "Angel Inn" very near the corner with Great Suffolk Street (called Dirty Lane on that map), and there's a 1713 Surrey Quarter Sessions record mentioning footpath repairs for a lane between Gravel Street (now Great Suffolk St) and the "Angel Inn" on Blackman Street, which must have been the lane which later became Great Suffolk St.
Photo taken in April 2008
Sources: Open date: Archives
Close date: London Drinker WP11
Demolished date: London Drinker WP19
OS 1876/1895/1907/1957/1969
PO 1839/1841/1856/1869/1882/1895/1915 (all as "Red Lion")
References: MS 11936/424/727723
MS 11936/427/740754
MS 11936/430/760025
MS 11936/497/1019470
MS 11936/506/1047837
QS2/6/1714/91-93 (as "Angel Inn")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.