King's Arms

Status: Open
Address: 65 Newcomen Street, SE1 1YT (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Southwark
Former address: 65 King Street (pre-1879)
5 King Street (1851)
Axe and Bottle Yard (pre-1774)
Historical parish: Southwark St Saviour
Dates open: 1760-
rebuilt 1890
Owner: Enterprise Inns
Website: Website
Notes: The name of King Street was adopted in 1774, and prior to this it was called Axe and Bottle Yard. Prior to the existence of the "King's Arms", there was a pub named the "Axe and Bottle" which gave its name to the street, and was originally just the "Axe", dating back to at least 1560, but it is unclear if it was on the same site.
Photo taken in April 2018
Sources: Open date/Rebuilding: Survey of London/plaque on pub
Owner: WhatPub
OS 1875/1895/1907/1953 (as "Kings Arms")/1969 (as "Kings Arms")
PO 1839/1841/1856/1869/1882/1895/1915 (all as "King's Arms")
Tris C (e-mail)
References: MS 11936/370/569927
MS 11936/376/585058
MS 11936/475/938644
MS 11936/490/999325
MS 11936/496/1010671
MS 11936/546/1211596 (all as "Kings Arms")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.