Captain Cook

Status: Closed and demolished
Address: Axe Street, IG11 7LX (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
London borough: Barking and Dagenham
Former name(s): George [different site]
George Hotel
George Inn
Former address: 47 Broadway (pre-1961)
Historical parish: Barking
Dates open: by 1609-2009
rebuilt 1893/1961
Good Beer Guide: 1975-1980, 1989
Owner: Punch Taverns [Spirit Group] (former)
Notes: Renamed as the "Captain Cook" upon rebuilding in 1961. The original site of the "George" was about 50m to the west, as Broadway originally veered off in that direction prior to a change to the road layout.
Sources: Open date: Pub Wiki
Close date: Beer in the Evening
Census 1851 [G Gray] (as "George Inn")/1861 [J Holmes] (as "George Inn")/1871 [J Holmes] (as "George Inn")/1881 [J Holmes] (as "George Inn")/1891 [M Holmes] (as "George Inn")/1901 [G Burns] (as "George Hotel")/1911 [A Richards] (as "George Hotel")
OS 1864/1962
PO 1839 (as "George")/1848 (as "George")/1851 (as "George Inn")/1855 (as "George Inn")/1862 (as "George")/1863 (as "George")/1867 (as "George")/1871 (as "George")/1874 (as "George Hotel")/1878 (as "George Hotel")/1882 (as "George Hotel")/1886 (as "George Hotel")/1890 (as "George Hotel")/1895 (as "George")/1899 (as "George")/1902 (as "George")/1906 (as "George")/1908 (as "George")/1910 (as "George")/1912 (as "George")/1914 (as "George")/1917 (as "George")/1922 (as "George")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email quoting the pub name.