Corney and Barrow

Status: Open
Address: 2b Eastcheap, EC3M 1AB (streetmap) (osm) (gmap) (bingmap) (streetview)
Former name(s): Monument Tavern [same site]
Former address: 60 King William Street (pre-C20 rebuilding)
48 Fish Street Hill (pre-C19 rebuilding) [different site]
1 Eastcheap (or 1 Little Eastcheap) (1851)
Dates open: [1695]-c1991, [2006]-
rebuilt c1884/1997
Good Beer Guide: [Monument Tavern:] 1986, 1987, 1988
Owner: Corney and Barrow
Fuller Smith Turner (former)
Ind Coope (former)
Meux's (former)
Website: Website
Notes: The address of the building and pub formerly on the site used to be 60 King William Street (EC4R 9AA), prior to that site's demolition in c1991. Before rebuilding in c1884, the "Monument Tavern" was 15m to the east on the other side of the intersection (at 48 Fish Street Hill or 1 Eastcheap). An additional confusion is that these two addresses were listed separately before the mid-C19 (though they may have been the same building): The 48 Fish St Hill address was known as the "Norfolk Hotel" (see separate entry, earlier the "Monument Hotel"), while 1 Eastcheap (or 1 Little Eastcheap) was the "Monument Tavern". The name is now used by the pub to the south at 18 Fish St Hill (as the "Monument", see separate entry).
Photo taken in October 2011
Sources: Open date/Rebuilding: Archives/Pubs Galore
Census 1851 [H Death/J Egan]
OS 1875/1896/1920/1952/1972
PO 1839 (as "Monument")/1841 (as "Monument")/1856/1869/1882 (all as "Monument Tavern")
References: C 5/181/16 (as "Monument Tavern")
NEL VII/11/1 (as "Monument Ale House")
NEL VII/11/3 (as "Monument Ale House")
PROB 11/1624/38 (as "Monument of Saint Leonard")
If you have any corrections or additions to make to this entry, please email pubologyblog@gmail.com quoting the pub name.